Monday, January 5, 2015

The Last Dance: A Short Story

"Are we there yet?" A male voice demanded.

"Just a little more!" the girl said.

"Mayu, look, I really don't have time for this!" He said impatiently. "Will you please let me go back to the dorm so that I could study in peace?"

"Why are you being such a nerd, Kai?" Mayu whined. "Alright! We're here!"

Kai blinked. "Mayu, this is the auditorium." he said in a blunt tone.

Mayu nodded. "That's right!"

"Why are we here?"

Mayu bounced up the auditorium stage. "I've always wanted to perform on this stage but I never got the chance..." Mayu said in a sad voice. Her eyes suddenly widened. "Hey, do you remember when we were kids? Your mom used to teach us how to dance."

Kai sat at the edge of the stage. "Yeah, she used to be a dance instructor." He chuckled. "I never got that talent from her. She's always so graceful."

Mayu sat beside Kai. "I've always wanted to be like your mom." She squinted her eyes at the bright stage lights.

"You're still not answering my question," Kai said. "Why did you bring me here?"

"The doctor said.. I won't live long... I want ... to ask you something before I die..." Mayu whispered.

"Mayu... Don't say that.. You're not going to die..." Kai pleaded.

"What does it feel like... to be loved?" Mayu asked, ignoring Kai's stare. "I mean, to be romantically involved with someone...?"

Kai sighed. "You will still feel that... You still have plenty of..."

"I'm dying, Kai! Don't you understand that?" Mayu burst out, tears falling from her eyes. "I don't have much time left... That's why.. I want to know... how to be loved..."


Kai did not say anything for a few seconds. He hates it when someone cries in front of him. It makes him feel helpless. He stood up and extended his hand towards Mayu. Mayu looked at him, puzzled. "You're not going to tell me to go home right?" She asked tentatively.

Kai gently smiled. "I'm not too late, am I?"

"Too late for what?"

"Take my hand."

Mayu held Kai's hand. Kai helped Mayu stand up and led her to the center of the stage. Mayu's heartbeat elevated as Kai put his left hand on her waist and held her hand with the other. They started to sway without music, their bodies close to each other.

Mayu smiled as she inhaled Kai's sweet scent. "I.. wasn't expecting you to do this, Kai..."

"What were you expecting?" Kai whispered while gently blowing Mayu's hair away from her face.

"I was expecting you to tell me about that girl you were planning to court..."

"Why?"

"I don't know... I guess I just want to know before I go..."

Kai grinned. "Okay, if you really want me to tell you about her... She is sweet, caring, very active and animated.. and.. well..."

"Well.. what?"

"...she broke my heart..."

"She did?" Mayu asked. "How?"

"She told me.. that she was dying... before I got the chance to tell her how I really feel about her... "

Silence filled the auditorium as they continued to dance. Tears flowed incessantly from Mayu's eyes. "I.. really don't know what to say..."

"I do..." Kai replied. He tightened his grip on Mayu's hand. "I love you."

Mayu leaned her head against Kai's chest. "Thank you, Kai...I'm sorry..." She closed her eyes and breathed deeply.

For the first and last time in her life, she felt loved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote this almost eight(!!) years ago. Since I'm still suffering from long term writer's block (I made that up), and I'm living up to my reputation as a lazy princess, I decided to repost some of my old stories. 

Here's the original post on Tabulas: http://kairee.tabulas.co/2007/06/01/@1430096/

No comments:

Post a Comment